Since I'd love to be a commissioned painter for folks, I often ask 'what is a fair price?' .
So far I have sold two items, each time for profit...but not by much.
Simple fact for me it, I love to paint. Even better when it's for someone else, the motivation is at an all time high.
And you want to out do yourself, to provide a top of your game standard.
My ForgeWorld terminators cost me £36 and I sold them for £41. Most commissioned folks wouldn't even think about that price.
I paint a Legion Praetor for £25, the pair came in at £27 but the buyer only wanted the terminator armoured one. This left me with a free model there abouts.
Basically I accept that I'm not going to make a shed load of money, nor do I really want to.
I have seen prices knocking around for about £5/$10 per stand model ( tactical marine), discounts for 5 or more usually.
I offer my tactical sqauds out for £35, is that a fair price? I do test models for free, if I have one in stock. Two reasons, I get to use the scheme to widen my portfolio, and two I usually learn something along the way. The whole system of selling painted models is confusing, tough, and unregulated. I guess you have to luck out and get a few regular customers. If you're rreading this and it sounds like a good deal to you, or you want look me up and haggle a bargain here's my Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/manufactorum
I usually charge the cost of the model as the base price for a paint job. there are exceptions of course usually in the plus+ cost as things like box sets and starters are way cheaper than a normal model.
ReplyDeleteTrue I have never thought about intro box offers. Cheers.
DeleteWow, I guess the most obvious question is how long does it take you to finish the models? Then you could really gage how much it should be worth :D
ReplyDeleteBlimey a fivean unit can be done in a week. That's with a paint brush. It's a little slower.
Delete* five man.
DeleteNot that I'm a commission painter but I think your painting quality is a lot more than what can be seen on eBay these days. Compared to the "pro painted" models yours look cleaner and the basing is not overdone.
ReplyDeleteMost commission painters charge for additional services such as using advanced blends (two brush, wet blending etc) or having custom bases (more than cork and tufts, plinths etc) or simply speed in delivery. Think about how fast you can paint a model or a squad and charge accordingly I'd say.
First off thanks for the boost in regards of quality vs the vast amout of 'pro painted' entries.
DeleteI know there's a loads of painters who have a three tier quality level. I want to discard that aspect with my work, but is it the right thing to do.?